Sunday, September 20, 2015

School and Sports...A Busy Life

Kids are busy. How are kids able to do homework, sports, and sleep, and continue to be successful? From personal experience I know it's hard to do all three but it can be done. All a person needs to be successful is determination and support.

Let me tell you, being an active high school student can be challenging sometimes. From personal experience some nights I'm up working on homework until midnight, or at school for a large portion of your day. Every Monday I'm at high school for 14 hours, and people ask me, "Austin, why do you do this to yourself?" All I say in response is, "The journey is hard, but the end is worth it."

Determination. What an interesting word that tends to be. To never give up, to always believe in yourself, to always persevere. A lot of people say they have determination, but in reality if you give up after trying and failing once, then you aren't even close to being determined. This word comes from a passion deep within that can only be met if a person truly cares about what they are working towards. In school it may happen when a student is struggling in a class. My freshman year I couldn't understand Advanced Geometry. I studied forever and took every note possible, yet would constantly get low to average scores. I was frustrated. I didn't know how to continue, but I was determined to find a way. I was after school with my teacher everyday from December until the end of the school year getting help. I succeeded! I started to get good grades and the accomplishment of that experience was incredible.

It takes a lot of determination to succeed in sports and school, if you are passionate about both. Some days something has to give, but if you don't give up, good things will happen.

In my opinion, support is the most crucial thing for a person to have. When you have so many things going on at once, it's almost impossible to do it all by yourself. Family and friends help make it easier. When I have those long Monday nights, sleep is hard to come by. After a long day, sleep is the only thing that sounds good to me, but my family supports me and helps me stay determined to succeed at my goal. My friends support me. Sometimes you have to say no to hanging out and having fun because of homework, but if they truly support you then they will be fine with it and help you with your homework. In sports support is the difference between a good team and a great team. If a team can come together when times get tough and battle through together they will be successful. If a fan base can rally behind a team and give them that extra boost, it's incredible what it does for the players.

Determination and support. Those are the two keys to succeeding in a busy life. It will never be easy because if it was easy everyone would do it, but the ending will be something to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment