Sunday, October 25, 2015

Upperclassmen

Most people look up to their peers and think, "wow they are big" or "I wouldn't want to mess with them." Sure most the time they are bigger, and stronger, but they can teach you a lot of things. Becoming friends with upperclassmen is so important because you are able to learn a lot and it's fun to meet new people.

In football this year I became friends with a lot of seniors. It all started out when we came in during the summer for OTAs and weightlifting. You would always be by them and watch and see how they did things. Since I'm an offensive linemen I really connected with those guys and was able to gel pretty easy. The one thing I was able to gain from this was new knowledge about the position I had been playing for seven years. They taught me and showed me how to be more aggressive, how to block better, and most importantly how to communicate. I didn't know until I played this year how important the center's job is with communicating to the other linemen. And at the same time while learning I'm also having fun! We are able to hang out and joke around now, and it all started because of football.

Seniors are better teachers by showing you rather than telling you. A good friend of mine Dalles Jacobus is a great example of this during the season this year. He has taught me two important things, to play with emotion, and to communicate. Anyone who has seen Dalles play football will know he plays with a lot of emotion, and being with him day in and day out at practice he showed me how that happens. He has made me a much better football player in that aspect. He also is the linemen that makes sure I communicate with everyone else. At the beginning I was quiet. I was nervous about being on varsity, nervous about messing up, and he and the other linemen have taught me it's ok. They have my back and will try their hardest to help me out. In practices he constantly reminded me to talk, and make calls, and because of that I now do it as second nature. I walk up to the line, tell everyone what's going on, and we are all on the same page. This has led me to success and has made me a better player.

Upperclassmen also know how to push you to a whole new level. They are leaders, and show you what it takes to be successful. I lifted with a lot of senior friends during this past summer and because of that I got a lot stronger. I was more prepared for the season than I ever have been before. I couldn't have done it without upperclassmen.

The point is to branch off and don't be "scared" of people that are older than you. They don't bite and they won't get mad. They have a lot to teach you, and have great insight on a lot of different things. Along the way friendships will be made that could last you a whole lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment