Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Music Man

The man that makes the magic happen. Who doesn't get nearly as much credit as he deserves for helping teach kids not only about music, but on how to become great people. This man has been an idol since I was a little boy and has always been a great friend to my family. He is the man behind many award winning show choirs and is my most respected teacher of all time. That man is Mr. Storm Ziegler.

Kennedy High School music has always had a special place in my heart and it's because this guy knows how to make music. His technique is impeccable and the emotion behind what he does is always there. The year I truly got him though was two years ago when my sister was a senior in his show choir. They performed a military show that in all honesty didn't place as well as what I would have thought. To this day that show is my favorite happiness show of all time. However that year I never once saw any sign of defeat. And in tribute to that my sister wrote a letter that won him director of the year at Show Choir Nationals in Nashville, Tennessee. That was the first time I ever saw him cry and I don't think I will ever forget it.

The greatest thing about Mr. Ziegler is that I'm able to joke around with him all the time. Most teachers aren't like that, and I can honestly say he is more of a friend to me than a teacher. I'm able to talk about anything with him and the advice I get back is second to none. The thing I can always count on however is that he will be honest with me. To many people "fluff" stuff up and make excuses, but not Zig. I love that and it makes me trust in him more because whether the answer is what you want or not, it will be the truth.

I have two proudest moments so far with Mr. Ziegler and I'm assuming the best has yet to come. First was the last performance from happiness last year and I was a tech. He circled everyone up and looked at every single person in the group. He stare can make people cry, but in a good way. We I stared at Zig I could see the passion in his eyes. The only way I could describe it is as if a father is looking at his kid. When he looked at me, I knew the start of something special happened. The second time was minutes before my group was about to audition for all-state. We sang through all of our cuts and by the last one, he teared up. Now before that time I saw him tear up one time and it was two years prior. The thing he said to us will stick with me forever. He said, "You guys have made the last four months' worth it...you guys aren't singing music, you are making music, and that's all I could ever ask for." We all four made all-state.

The music man is a jack of all trades but most importantly he is my friend. He is the reason music is so influential in my life and he makes singing everyday enjoyable. I can't wait to go to Nashville again this year with him and relive what happened two years ago. At the end of the day though he has taught me one important lesson. He has taught not to coast through life accomplishing things and looking back and wondering where it all went, but to enjoy the journey and bask in it as long as you can because great things happen in all of those little moments. Don't just sing music, make music.

No comments:

Post a Comment