Thursday, December 31, 2015

Mascots

Everyone loves watching mascots roam up and down the sidelines cheering on their team and pumping up the student section! The excitement a costume can bring to a fan base or to a school is very cool, and it is a symbol of unity between the team and the fans. Many times the power of the mascot is over looked, but who is the person who goes to the middle of the field, court, or ice, and gets everyone rowdy before the game take place. It's almost always the mascot! The energy that person can get from a fan base is humbling to me.

Mascots represent two things; they pump up the crowd before games and represent a school. As an Iowa State fan I've come close to the Cy the Cyclone. Since I was a little boy I remember him running through the tunnel at football games waving his "cyclone power" sign. Every time Iowa State would score a touchdown he would be the first one in the end zone running through it with a huge Iowa State flag. Most importantly he knows how to make 60,000 fans excited.

Mascots are also great with young kids. As a kid you watch TV and see mascots on the sidelines of games and wish to meet them or see them in person. I'm not sure why but there is a nostalgic feel around mascots. When I was a kid I would get a picture with the opposing mascots alongside Cy every football game, that way I was able to say I met all of them and could make a collage of all of the mascots together. I enjoyed it so much! They always came over super happy even though I'm wearing my Iowa State gear and were always willing to take a picture. That means they are doing their job. They keep little kids happy and represent their school at a top level, which gives great impressions on people outside of that college.

A mascot also represents your school nickname and school proud. At Kennedy High School we are the cougars and every time I see our mascot you get a sense of pride because he represents our school. I'm assuming mascots all around the country represent the same concept. I bet while people watch their team on TV they get a little bit of remembrance from their college days every time they see the mascot. I know I will remember my high school every time I see a cougar. The fact is mascots play an important role for the whole sports experience. They get people excited and all represent their own school in the most respectful way possible. Who would have thought bringing a cartoon to life would leave such an impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment