Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Thrill of the Buzzer Beater

I've never seen fans watch a basketball game with a buzzer beater and not enjoy themselves! Those crazy shots lead to a court storming, a standing ovation as the team goes into the locker room, smiles all around. Or if on the other side of the spectrum it could lead to defeat, tears, bending over and looking at the floor because they can't take the sight of the other team cheering. As a matter of fact I've only seen one buzzer beater in person before and have never actually been a part of one so I don't exactly know what it feels like to be on either of these sides from a player's standpoint. Fortunately the one game I was at that this occurred the team I was routing for was the team that performed it, and won the game for them.

 It was an Iowa State game and I honestly can't tell you who it was against. All I remember is watching the ball float helplessly in the air as the backboards turned red, and then seconds later the sweet sound of the bottom of the net. The fans went crazy and it must have been an upset because the court was stormed and the players were lifted high into the sky. If there is one thing I've learned about being an Iowa State fan it's that Hilton Magic is a real thing; I've seen it happen.

When watching games on TV buzzer beaters happen all the time. Each time I watch one I am so amazed, whether it was a close easy shot or a half court launch, the thrill is the same. The reactions of the fans and players make the game worth watching! A couple weeks ago a couple friends and I were eating dinner at a sports bar and one of my friends has never played and doesn't enjoy the game of basketball. We watched this buzzer beater occur on TV, which was breath taking because it made that team win, and the look on his face was pure astonishment, mixed with a little bit of joy. He turned to me and said, "Austin, did you see that? I hate basketball but that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen." I think that comment pretty much sums this up. One shot can change a game, change the impression on people, and can ultimately lead to the greatest or worst memories of people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment