Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Fun of Going on the Road

Walking into enemy territory, wearing the green and gold, boos from every direction, holding hand in hand. A family just walked onto the field, and nothing is going to get in their way.

Road games are my favorite. The home games are fun because special events happen and all of your fans are their cheering you on, but road games just have a special aroma to them. I don't know whether it's playing on a new field, or knowing that your teammates are the only ones who are going to support you, but there is something special. I love being routed against or being an underdog. Most people would think "why?" I like being routed against because it gives you motivation, something to play for. If you are projected to win every game then the pressure is on so you don't lose. If expected to lose, the game is much more relaxed and it makes the victories that much sweeter. Also when you play on the road there aren't any distractions. During home games they are fun, for example a homecoming court, or friends and family come to watch. But this takes your mind off of the game, and changes routine. For road games, this doesn't happen. Sure family and friends still come and support, but there isn't a whole side cheering for you, just a little crowd. That brings more will to do better. As a player you want to make it worth the trip for the fans and make them proud. Make those few who are on your side feel excited.

However, nothing is more rewarding than making the opposing teams fans stop cheering. In sports cheering helps make teams perform better, which is why we have done so well this year because our student section is great! When you play on the road the less cheering the better your team is doing. Also when my team runs out on the field I love the adrenaline I get from being booed from the other teams fans. Most people don't like it which is totally understandable. I mean to get booed or get cheered for, I'd pick to get cheered for too, but I get an extra surge from getting booed. I think it's because it makes me want to play that much better, and show the fans how great we are.

Road games are fun. You get to travel, get new scenery, and play as the underdog. One thing remains the same though. My team expects to win, and believes in each other for every snap.

No comments:

Post a Comment