Sunday, November 15, 2015

The Helping Hands

What makes a team successful? How are teams consistently good even though each year they get brand new players? The answer is coaching. Coaches are a huge part of the success of teams, and sometimes, in my opinion, are left out to dry and don't earn enough appreciation. They are the ones who come up with the scouting reports at 3 in the morning, come in early all summer long to teach you plays and help you lift. They are the people that no matter what have your back, and are willing to give it everything they have in order to make you a successful player, and a successful person.

Last winter and spring I came into school three times a week at 4:45, in hopes of getting stronger. Now why in the world would I go in that early to lift when I could easily do it during the school day or after school? I did it because I was able to lift with my senior friends, who have happened to have great seasons this year, and to lift with one of my coaches. Coach Knock. What a man. Always representing his Iowa State Cyclones, which I liked because I'm a cyclone at heart, and always willing to push you to that next level. He played at Iowa State, so he knows what it takes to be successful, he knows what hard work can get you. So it was my first time meeting him, he knew everyone else from the previous year, and he gave me a huge welcome. I was scared out of my mind because this was my first year on varsity, wanted to impress him, and just looking at the guy intimidated me. Once I got to know him though, waking up that early wasn't a chore, it was something to look forward too. Every time I went in he made me better, both physically and mentally. Over the course of twelve months he went from an intimidating coach to a best friend. This season wouldn't have been the same without his help in the off season.

My other coach that really helped me this off season was coach Mehmen. He is my linemen coach and has helped me learn so many things this year. He was also there every day after school last year, helping me lift and helping me snap. In the summer we went over the play book and how I should block different situations. He also has groomed me into a better football player by always putting with the seniors, and up against the biggest and toughest guys. He gives me first team reps every week even though I'm not a starter that way I get used to that type of play. I can't thank him enough for that because it truly has made me better and challenges me every week. Next year when I hopefully have that spot on the field, I can reflect back to this year think of all the opportunities I was granted, even though I wasn't a starter.

Helping hands. A lot of people put time and effort into this program to make the heavy load, a light one. I look forward to working with these coaches this off season, and continuing to make stronger bonds with them and my teammates. We couldn't do it without these guys behind the scenes. The media and everyone gives up as players all of the credit. This is a way to say thank you to those behind the scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment