Sunday, November 22, 2015

With End in Sight

Seasons in sports are long; after a while the practices drag, you get behind in school, people stop trying their hardest every day. What happens when it's over though? What type of feelings will be going through your head on that last day of practice, or the last time you take the field?

That feeling started this week. That feeling of a finality that can't be stopped. I'm sure it will be similar to the feeling of someone on their last day of senior year. Of course there is excitement, but a little bit of sadness also, and maybe a little bit of longing to go back and do it again. To relive some of the greatest experiences and moments of your life.

This is our last week of the season. The end is staring us in the face, and we can't do anything to slow it down. Our season has made dreams come true, and has brought our school to new levels of excitement and pride. We have accomplished something that has never been done before. An undefeated season. The job is not done yet though, we have a state title to play for. We have accomplished goals but not the ultimate dream.

I can't believe it's almost over. I have been playing with these group of guys, this team, for the last six months. Some for the last twelve. Waking up at the crack of dawn, busting our butts, and sweating our asses off day in and day out. All for one goal. For one purpose. Now that goal is staring us in the face, and one team is left in our way. I'm honored to have worked with these group of guys for the past six months, and I have never felt a closer knit group than the one I'm a part of. We will do anything for each other, any time any place. The work ethic of the seniors has also pushed me to new places, and has made me prepared for next year. The fact of the matter is I have less than a week left with these guys until our journey is finished.

Sure as the year goes on practices lag and some days you really don't want to go, but its weeks like this that you are thankful you went to everyone because there are so few left. I can't remember what my life was like without football. My schedule will definitely free up, but I'm not convinced that's a good thing. I like being busy, it's all I know how to do. With extra time I will be able to focus more on school and hang with friends and family more, but I won't have a group of guys to see every day. I won't be able to talk to Dalles, Mason, or Elijah every day. I won't ever be on a team with those guys again.

This season has meant more to me than a lot of things in my life, and to have it end makes me realize what I have had in front of me the whole time. I have been able to hang with a bunch of friends, and play a game that means so much to me. I'm savoring this last week because I don't know if I will have these feelings or experience ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment