Sunday, November 29, 2015

What a Year

Today was a wrap up of the most memorable football season I've ever had. We celebrated our spectacular 13-1 season with an awards banquet and appreciation ceremony. Looking back on the year everything was perfect besides the outcome of the last game. The banquet tonight put everything into perspective to me tonight, and in all reality we have half of our guys returning and half leaving.

A lot of my good friends are moving on and continuing their sporting careers both in football and in other sports. Shaun Beyer just received an offer from the University of Iowa, Dalles Jacobus is getting scholarships for both football and track, Tyler Dralle is getting looked at around the state for baseball. A lot of guys will go off and play football and sports elsewhere, but this team, the 2015 Cougars, have officially ended their season tonight. All the blood, sweat, and tears put into the last 12 months are over. The great memories at team bonding events, practices, the locker room, team breakfast/meals, they won't happen with these same group of guys ever again. Tonight brought a finality to the great thing that we had and accomplished. In the middle of the season when the practices are hot and everything is a little dreary, players might want the season to end. But its nights like tonight that remind you how special the year was, and reminds you of all the great stories and memories, that will last a lifetime, that took place. The first ever "family's" chapter has closed and now it's up to us juniors and sophomores too keep the train rolling.

I've learned a lot from my upperclassmen about what makes a good leader and how to become a better football player; now it's my time to be that leader, to make the plays. In all aspects of the game I'm a senior now. I'm the highest in the school. People will look up to me. My coach while talking about all the players individually, called me out. Not in a bad way, but he made sure I heard what he was saying in a way only coaches can do. He challenged me to become the starter for next year and challenged me to put in the time during the off season to make it happen. I've never been more excited in my life! This is the year I get to make my mark, put everything I have out there onto that field. I start tomorrow morning at 5am.

Lastly I talked to my good friend Dalles Jacobus before leaving tonight. I was thanking him for all he taught me this year and thanking him for an absolute remarkable season. He looked to me and said, "Maus...I'll be back here for you next year and I can't wait to see you lead this team because I know you can do it. I'm really looking forward to cheering you on." I will never fulfill the shoes of Dalles Jacobus. He is a once in a lifetime teammate that I'm forever grateful to have been around, but I'm going to use everything he taught me to become the best I can be. The new chapter is opening tonight. Who's in it with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment