Thursday, April 21, 2016

Audition Week

Next week is show choir audition week, and the stress levels in the choir world are rising. The auditions take place in order to get into any Kennedy choir, regardless of show choir or traditional. Last year I was about of Concert Choir, Happiness Inc., Chamber Choir, and Moonlight Express. However to get into these groups one audition takes place that determines all of them. I know nerve racking!

The song that acts like a constant during the process is My Country Tis of Thee. My directors use this song because it shows off range and sets the bar even for everyone. Then the singer chooses another song to sing. That is the variable between all of us. The goal is to pick a song that sounds really good on your voice, and can showcase your range as a singer. Last year I sang Faithfully by Journey. I like that song because it fit my voice part, baritone, and is a pretty easy tune to stay in key with. This year I'm trying All I Ask of You from the Phantom of the Opera. This song will definitely showcase my talent because of the difficult it presents, and because the song is such a big song. During auditions it's normally a rule of thumb to not sing songs that have been sung many times before, or are easy to sing. This song has been performed on many stages by fantastic opera stars so it is a big risk doing it, but I hope the risk will pay off. 

One thing I especially like about our audition process is that they are blind. Mr. Ziegler and Mr. Muters sit behind a "cow", or costume changing blocker, and just sit back and listen to us. Are they able to tell who it is by our voices? Sometimes they are, especially if they have worked with us a lot, but every year someone comes out of the wood work and has a fantastic audition. That factor also levels the playing field so favorites are not a thing. Even though teachers try not to play favorites, it's inevitable to happen when they see who it is and watch face to face. This tryout eliminates that factor. Also as a singer it makes it easier to perform in. You don't have to worry about looking them right in the eye, or don't have to witness their reactions, whether good or bad. It is a real confidence booster and I enjoy the process.

So whether this year turns out well or not, my effort is there. A hundred kids will put their voice on the line in a couple of days and I hope everyone is successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment