Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Raise the Roof

Now that show choir is officially over I have time to reflect back on the past year and think of all the incredible and memorable experiences I had. One of those experiences that I reflect back on is the Raise the Roof Show Choir Invitational at our own Kennedy High School.

This year the talent was stacked at our competition, and most of it came from new groups that I've never heard of before. It's fun being able to watch and interact with kids your own age from a different city or state because it allows for learning of different cultures, and allows us to get to know other people that could become future friends. However, even with that said, my favorite part is not social hour or listening to other groups perform. Most of the time I get to only see at maximum about three shows throughout the day anyway, so that aspect of our competition is not why I love it so much. I love it because of the organization behind it and all the volunteering that occurs.

Compared to other show choir competitions ours is so smoothly ran! We assign every kid who partakes in a show choir a job so that we can say every one did their part, but then we also use parents. At Kennedy High School we have the best parent support group imaginable. We have parents who volunteer 8 hours worth of work in order to help make our competition run smoothly. No other competition has that type of support. Along with just being there they are also friendly. They will help with any question and are always willing to do more. This year I worked a lot with Mr. Koch, Mr. Minor, Mr. Tygart, and Mr. Caldbeck. All very nice and well deserving gentlemen and they taught me the ropes to Raise the Roof. I helped set up parking signs, parking cones, the stage, chairs in the audience, posters around the school. If you saw it one of us probably had something to do with it. Even though the actually work part of Raise the Roof sucks, it's the bonding and friendships that occur that makes the whole thing worth it.

Besides those men I also got to hang out with Mr. Ziegler and my sister. They always run the scores so they have the inside scoop on who is winning the competition before anyone else. So on actual competition day I spend a lot of my time in there and help them and just talk about life. I wouldn't want to spend a whole day with two other people. They are both so easy going and know how to make a long day, short. As seen in my previous blogs Mr. Ziegler is a role model of mine so to be by him all day long is fun, and my sister is just the best. She always wears a smile on her face and never is down. She is the reason I always try and stay positive and spread my happiness to those around me.

Raise the Roof allows for a lot of different opportunities, but the one that needs to be taken advantage of are the bonding experiences and friendships that are created. I love this competition and I can't wait for that time of year to swing around once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment