Sunday, April 24, 2016

Hamilton

"My name is Alexander Hamilton. My name is Alexander Hamilton. And there's a million things I haven't done. But just you wait, just you wait."

The new and upcoming Broadway musical Hamilton is a huge hit about the story of one of our founding fathers, Alexander Hamilton. The musical brings us back to the early 1800s right after the Revolutionary War took place. It shows how the United States makes is form of government and the ideas of Alexander Hamilton that still impact us today. Obviously there are side plots but that's the main idea.

What I find intriguing about the musical however is the reaction people have had to it. People have kept Hamilton on the ten dollar bill because of it, and are going to start incorporating this musical into everyday learning. I think that is so cool! The fact that a musical, written and starred by the mastermind behind it, has taken such a great leap into American society. Also it makes me happy that people are yet again intrigued by history. This way of learning could make history fun to learn again, and may even help kids learn this issue of US History better. I've never seen it yet because it has only been performed in New York, but next year it is coming to Iowa and I plan to go see it. I've heard the soundtrack however and the songs are mesmerizing. I love them and they teach me, both about music history!

I have to give credit when credit is due and thank this discovery to Moira Green. She showed me this musical, and I may even go see it with her. But she became obsessed with it about four months ago and from that day I've listened to it on my own. My favorite song on the soundtrack is "Alexander Hamilton" and "My Shot." The first song is about him and his life. It describes all the other main characters as well, allowing for the audience to understand how the musical will run, and the plot line. The "My Shot" song is about him taking a shot with the government and trying things his way. Both are very good and allow me to learn a little bit about history without even really trying! However thanks to Moira's encouragement and persistence, she showed me a fantastic musical that may wind up being one of my favorites of all time.

"There's a million things I haven't done...What's your name man? Alexander Hamilton!"

No comments:

Post a Comment