Sunday, April 10, 2016

Wildhorse Saloon

I look down and see a sea of plaid on the dance floor below me. The building in the shape of a horseshoe representing the name of the saloon. A country music band is playing for all of Show Choir Nationals, and line dancing is being taught on the dance floor. A lot of "yeehawing" and "wooing" is taking place down below, but one thing is for certain. There is a smile on everyone's face and no one wishes to be anywhere else. The Wildhorse Saloon in Nashville, Tennessee.

This saloon holds a lot of memories for me. I was there for the first time back in 2014 when my sister went there for her Show Choir Nationals appearance. Two years ago was not the same as this year however. Two years ago I hung out with my family and watched Danielle have the time of her life with all of her friends. This time that was me. I had one of the greatest nights ever at that saloon.

If you read my "School Dances" post from earlier this spring I mentioned how school dances should be fun and drama free. I explained how I wish they were like Hairspray, in how everyone had fun and just danced, not worrying about others around them. The Wildhorse Saloon gave me that experience. I had a fun night with my friends, my teammates, and enjoyed a once in a lifetime experience.

Going into the saloon there was a hype within my show choir. Everyone knew that I enjoyed country music more than anyone so they expected me to go "all out country." And I did not disappoint. I wore my boots, my plaid shirt, my blue jeans. I had the whole look for me. I also taught them some line dancing moves which was a ton of fun for me. There were two great moments in the night though. One moment was when Greased Lightning came on. Back in the eighth grade I had a solo in my show choir for Greased Lightning so everyone associates my name with that song. I danced in the middle of a huge crowd of people, not knowing half of them, and danced the whole song that night in the saloon. I found out later that a mom of a school in California got a picture of me and put it up on their Facebook page to show the fun that show choir can bring. That's an unbelievable feeling. The second moment was being able to dance with my girlfriend in a venue such as that. Everyone was enjoying themselves, and dancing around us and it felt like a movie. When everyone looks at you and tells you how cute you two are. Then no matter what goes on around us it seemed like she was the only one in the saloon. That's what it felt like and it made the night so special to me. It wouldn't have been nearly the same without her or my entire team.

The Wildhorse Saloon now holds a special spot in my heart. It made me some gold balls in my head for lifelong memories. What a night it was. What an incredible night.

No comments:

Post a Comment